Wednesday 26 December 2012

Only War 40K Rpg



Well I trust everyone's recovered from whatever trials you put your bodies through yesterday. Everyone one got what they wanted from under the tree?  The Mrs and I decided to go halves on one of these tablet computers (sharing hasn't caused any arguments, yet) so I thought I'd put it through it's paces on the 'ol blog.


 
My copy of Only War turned up on Christmas Eve and I've had a couple hours to flick through. The latest in the line of 40K role playing games, Only War sees you inducted into the ranks of the Imperial Guard, fighting in one of the Imperium's countless wars.


Are these guys from the Gaunts Ghosts series?

Setting aside initial concerns about how much fun playing a nameless grunt would be, FFG seem to have made a number of interesting additions to the 40K RPG system, most notably the squad mechanic and a dedicated set of vehicle rules (about time!)



The book itself is mostly up to the standards expected from FFG, the only criticism I have is that there is less artwork than in previous books and a lot of what is there is recycled from GW's back catalogue.


Proper vehicle rules.  Finally.

Only War is by far the best 40K RPG to be played with miniatures, but I still need to be convinced just how much role playing there is on offer here.  Still the book was a nice distraction over the last couple days and is a goldmine of background material for Imperial Guard fans.


2 comments:

  1. I've yet to get my book but I'm thinking of using it for Kelly'e Heroes, Dirty Dozen, Guns of Naverone type missions rather than large scale warfare.

    Can't wait to get my copy of Only War and start scheming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only War does seem to be ideal for that kind of scenario. There are actually twelve character types to choose from, perfect for a Dirty Dozen Penal Legion squad!

      Delete