Sunday 17 June 2012

Back From Holiday


The view from the porch. Perfect.

Well, we're back from our little holiday, and very relaxing it was too. . . well, apart from the terrible drive home and a whole lot of hassle picking up the cat that is.  We had great accommodation, great weather (for the west of Scotland) and some great days out.

Count the Midge bites - not troubled all week, bitten 18 times loading the car!

Despite the fact we took a laptop with us and that the cottage had internet access, I did a pretty good job (with one notable exception) of disconnecting from real life.  No emails, texts, tweets, updates and all those other things that usually seem so important.

What a load of hassle picking up this wee girl.  Not that she was bothered though. 

Gaming didn't get abandoned though as I got a couple games both Eldar Sign and Death Angel.  Most evenings though, I ended up playing a quest or two of a new game, The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game.  I'll talk about this game in future posts, but for now, I'll just say that I can't recommend this game enough, one of the best board/card games I've ever played.

Great little game, 

I managed to get though three books while away, which is about average for a holiday.  Two, Desert Spear by Peter Brett and Sworn Brother by Tim Severin, I've been holding off reading as the first books in their respective series were so good.  Both were excellent and really enjoyable to read.

Lastly, it was my birthday while we were away, so a couple nerdly gifts were waiting for me. Oddly, I found myself taking a year off instead of adding one.  For some reason, I was adamant that I was 35 this year, and it wasn't until an old school friend got in touch and reminded me that we were only 34!  Result!

Second time that's happened, when I was 27, I thought I was only 26!

I'll get back reading your blog posts over the next day or so, looking forward to see what you've all been upto.

4 comments:

  1. Good to have you back, that's a good birthday scam you've got going mate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good holiday but damn the midgies! Usual for the West of Scotland. The photo looks familiar...Ballachulish?

    Happy Birthday, wish mine were taking years off too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, North Ballachulish. Great wee cottage we rented.

      Delete
  3. Glad you enjoyed the break, I'll be interested more in your thoughts of the LOTR card game...

    ReplyDelete